Though the stipend Madrid gives us (1000 euro) per month could be (if properly budgeted) enough to live on, most auxiliaries search for private classes. You have more than enough free time to do one or two.
Currently, I spend an hour on Mondays and Wednesdays with two girls, five and seven. I make 18 euros each class. Each Tuesday, I have two boys, seven and nine, 30 euros . The most time I’ve heard spent on extra lessons is five and I’m still looking for one more to add.
My lessons consist of playing games in English, teaching new vocabulary, practicing reading out loud, comprehension with what their reading, and more! I use my IPad a lot for free games and English books for kids. My parents allow me to choose what to do with the kids.
You can find private lessons by using:
- Auxiliary Facebook page: Tons of classes, but it’s somewhat frustrating as you have to race people for the contact information. I’ve found one of my classes through this method, which has worked out pretty well.
- Teachers at your school
- Tus Clases Particulares: You can post an ad on this page about teaching private classes, then people can e-mail you via the website.
- Lingobongo: Another popular website for posting ads. It’s on a rolling basis, so your ad can get bumped down by other people posting ads.
- Finding classes through a third person/entity: For example: I get paid by another woman at the end of the month for one of my private lessons.
- You may not be getting paid the full amount. The teachers at my school and my Madrileña roommate have all told me to try and cut out the third party person.
- Sometimes this may be all you find, just see what works best.
TIPS FOR PRIVATE LESSONS:
- The going rate for lessons is 20 euro, but it also depends on what you’re doing i.e. if you’re just playing with a five year-old in English, most parents will request a lower price.
- Add in travel time. I’ve had multiple conversations with people who take classes far from where they live.
- Websites to use: Handouts Online, Busy Teacher, One Stop English, Cambridge English, Designer Lessons, ESL Lessons Plans (she also has a small e-book) Flo Joe (Exams), and Market Leader (Business)
- Education games on Ipad: Homer, Pili Pop, Interactive stories